Daniel de Andrade was born in Brazil and came to the United Kingdom in 1985 to conclude his ballet studies.
He is a freelance choreographer/producer specialising in narrative dance and is resident Artistic Associate at Northern Ballet.
Daniel enjoyed a fulfilling performing career with the National Ballet of Portugal, London City Ballet, Zurich Opera House Ballet, The Scottish Ballet and in 1995 joined Northern Ballet as principal dancer.
In 2004 Daniel joined Northern Ballet’s artistic staff. As répétiteur he staged “The Three Musketeers” for the Estonia Opera House Ballet (2009), “Romeo and Juliet” for the Slovakian National Ballet (2013), “A Christmas Carol” for the Royal New Zealand Ballet (2014) and “Jane Eyre” for the American Ballet Theatre (2019).
Daniel has also worked as guest teacher with Phoenix Dance Theatre, Bern Ballet, Deborah Colker Dance Company, Royal Academy of Dance, Ballet Central, The BalletBoyz and National Dance Company of Wales.
As Choreographer/Producer Daniel’s full-length ballet productions to date are:
- “Nijinsky – God of the Dance” (Slovak National Ballet, 2015 – original music by Carl Davis)
- “The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas” (Northern Ballet, May 2017 – original music by Gary Yershon)
- “Chaplin, The Tramp” (Slovak National Ballet, March 2019 – original music by Carl Davis)
Daniel’s other choreographic works include amongst others:
- “Glass Canon” (Northern Ballet, 2010 and 2012 mixed programmes)
- “The Three Musketeers” fight scenes (Estonia Ballet 2010, Alberta Ballet 2014, Northern Ballet 2018)
- “Danzando Felini” (Milan, 2011 Italy-UK Business Awards)
- “Untainted Parallel” (Northern Ballet, 2011)
- “Overworlds & Underworlds” (Leeds Canvas – London 2012 Olympiad)
- “Elves & the Shoemaker” (Northern Ballet, 2014 – original music by Philip Feeney)
In 2011 Daniel was awarded the Clore Dance Fellowship, a yearly programme of leadership development which carefully selects and trains exceptional leaders for the cultural sector. He was mentored by The Royal Ballet’s Resident Choreographer Wayne McGregor and seconded to Sadler’s Wells Theatre.
As Northern Ballet’s Artistic Associate Daniel continues to work intensively in the creation, development and nurturing of high standard productions. He is an enthusiastic ballet teacher, coach and mentor of emerging choreographers. In his capacity as deputy to the Artistic director Daniel is also an ambassador for Northern Ballet, representing the company and helping to promote its worldwide presence as a most influential British Dance company.
Daniel is also the Artistic Director for Northern Ballet’s “Children’s Ballets”, a project dedicated to commissioning and creating ballets especially designed for children. Since 2012 these charming productions have all been commissioned yearly by the BBC and will also be making their debut at Cinemas across the U.K. and internationally early 2019.